First Companion MTC and CCM, Hermana Williams

March 31, 2010 Hellloooooo Guatemala!!!!

Subject: Hellllooooooo Guatemala!!! Helllllooooooooooo GUATEMALA!!!

Oh my gosh.....Guatemala is LOCOOOOOOOOOO!! It´s like I woke up and I’m in this strange new land where I cannot understand anything or anyone!! It seriously is nuts, but I love Love, LOVE every second of it! Guatemala no ka oi!!! Seriously!! haha. But okay, the Spanish is crazy here. Everyone here speaks Spanish and I cant understand anyone!! Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself because it’s so crazy. I’m grateful though for the opportunity to be here in the ccm because it’s a whole different language from what they were teaching us in Provo!! Real Latinos speak way different and at like 1000 mph. my favorite word has become ^que dije).....What you say?? haha. They just laugh at us. It’s fun times. At the ccm they make us go out and talk to real people. It’s so fun! I’ve been here for a week and I’ve already went out to contact twice. We don’t really teach we just talk to people. It’s a little embarrassing because you seriously don’t know what anyone is saying!! But they are very nice. Most of the people we’ve talked to have been members because we usually go out to contact at the temple which is right next door. It really is so fun though. Guatemalans are HILARIOUS!! And just laugh and love everything you say because we don’t know anything!! If you just say oh muy divertido!! They will love you. I have so much fun. It’s hilarious!

They also love when we perform for them so me and my comp sang English hymns and they love it. I’ve also done hula for my roommates and they love that too. They love everything and anything and I think that is the best thing about being here. Everyone just really enjoys life and it’s so fun!! We have a return appointment for this couple who wants to come back and talk to us before we leave the ccm to speak to us when we can actually understand!! haha. It is great. Next week, I am going on splits with the Latina missionaries and we are going to go teach and contact at the Guate city park. We have to catch the bus there and everything. It’s about 30 minutes away so it’s like were actually doing missionary work. It’s crazy but that’s how it is here. They throw you out and you just sink or swim. Its tough but I feel myself learning and growing every day. Yesterday I taught my first full lesson in Spanish at the casa cre!! It was definitely rough, but we got through it. It is like ten billion times harder to teach in Spanish, but I must say I think the spirit is stronger because we have to rely on baring sincere testimony and being bold, straight forward and absolutely to the point.

In our lesson, I shared the first vision in Spanish. I’ve practiced this a billion times at the MTC in Utah but for some reason this time when we shared it in a lesson and our Spanish was so terrible, but I felt the spirit stronger than I ever felt before. I started to cry as I was speaking and tears streamed down my eyes and we all were crying. I think it’s a sister thing! It was so powerful. I felt it and the sister we were teaching also felt the same thing as me. She said she could feel the light just burst in the room when I said that and it was as if she were there. It was the most amazing feeling and it was so powerful!!!! Of course my investigator already did believe but there’s a different spirit when you share it in a different language and when your Spanish is terrible. You really speak every word from the soul!! Teaching in Spanish is rough, but it has taught me that we have to rely on the Spirit in our teaching because our words or what we say most definitely won’t convert, but the spirit will!! Honestly this is something that is essential and I don’t think I could have learned this unless I was in the position that I’m in. it’s amazing!!!!! As a missionary, I have been able to feel the spirit testify through me. I know that this gospel is true. I KNOW without a doubt that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in the spring of 1820. Mom, I know it because yesterday I honestly felt myself there when it happened!!!

It is scary how true this gospel is and how real it becomes as we share it!! It truly is a blessing and a privilege to serve our Lord and I am so, so grateful! The feelings that you have as a missionary or as any normal person sharing the gospel is undeniable!!!!! I love this gospel-I love being the Lord’s missionary. The gospel of Jesus Christ is TRUE!!! I know that!! I’m the happiest I’ve ever been and I am so grateful for all your love and support!!! I love you all so much!! Prestos todos Prestos mi familia!!! Until next time!!!!!!!!

Hermana Garcia

Ps. please continue to pray for me and my lang abilities ok. It is much needed especially here. i am trying not to let myself get too overwhelmed.
Pss. I need PRUNES!!!!! Oh my food here is LOCO!! Beans, Beans, and then more beans. Boy, do Guatemalans love their beans. We have beans for every meal. My first meal was pancakes....with syrup??? No pancakes and beans!! I was like what the heck??? Pancakes and beans....mi favorito!! But I sucked it up because I was sitting on a table with all Latinos and they looked like that was the best food they ever had!! So I just smiled and sang prestos todos prestos and ate my plate full of beans and mushy plantanes and it was actually pretty good. That’s one thing I learned it looks sketch but actually it is quite delicious. I just get constipated and it’s no bueno. Every single North American here has gotten sick and we don’t know what it is. I have not been bad but my stomach does do some weird things!!

Pss. my theory that all brown people who sing together will sound good has been proven false!! Latinos are probably the worst singers in the whole world but that just adds to their funniness!! They sing with so much gusto but so off and I can’t help but just start laughing!!!! My comp hits me because it’s kinda rude but I cannot help it. It is so funny!! So yes...prune mui would be nice!! It’s actually a rule here that all missionaries must eat 2 prunes a day....when I saw that I was like oh no!!1 but anyways I love you all so much! Ciao until next time!!